Ingredients for the dough
500g strong bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 sachet of yeast
40g unsalted butter
For the filling
zest of 1 orange
75g soft brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
150g dried apricots
For the topping
2 tbsp apricot jam
a dash of water
1. Place the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and put the yeast in there. Warm the milk and butter in a small pan and add to the flour. Then add the egg. Mix together to form a soft dough.
2. Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is soft and no longer sticky.
3. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to prove for an hour.
4. Tip the dough out and knock back. Roll out into a large rectangle. Butter the dough, then sprinkle the zest, sugar, cinnamon and fruit on. Tack down the closest side of the rectangle. Roll the opposite long side towards you until the whole roll is tight and complete. Cut into 10 (or 12 if you're me and made your roll too long) Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat your oven to 170. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn them around so all the buns colour evenly. Bake for another 10 minutes.
6. Melt the jam in a small saucepan with a dash of water until smooth. Pour over the buns to glaze.
Quite pleased with them, considering they're my first attempt at an enriched dough. Will be taking them for my chums to eat this evening, hopefully they go down well! X Bo